and Analytics for Insurance
Streamlining and Modernizing Core Business
Processes with a Self-Service Environment
Shelter Insurance is a "super regional" insurer managing $5.5 billion in assets. They sell auto, property, business and life insurance policies while maintaining a brisk international reinsurance operation. With business growing, Shelter outgrew their antiquated financial software environment that hadn't been updated since 1996. Limitations were so pronounced that preparing the General Ledger and budgets amounted to a labor-intensive, manual process where much of the work had to be done on spreadsheets apart from the financial platform itself - and shared either via email or on paper. Their existing environment was too limited, too inflexible and unable to grow with the business.
Realizing they had an opportunity to dramatically streamline and modernize their core business processes, Shelter decided to evaluate several leading platforms and ultimately chose born-in-the-cloud solutions from Workday and Tidemark. The company rolled out both solutions in time to prepare its 2015 budget and estimates that using the two solutions will deliver fully realized annual savings of approximately $2.3 million in operating costs.
With Tidemark, Shelter's annual budget process has been cut in half, sparing participants months of work. Users across the company can enter information directly into Tidemark, and support their budget numbers by attaching documentation and notes. Decision-makers can view important metrics, such as monthly policy counts, in ways they never could before. Analysts now get a real-time view of policy counts by line of business, and then drill down to view counts and policy retention levels by agent. These insights help sales and marketing managers understand where to implement campaigns to increase sales of various lines of products.
Why not Cubes? Watch Short Video
How is Tidemark is Different?
Tidemark's modern cloud architecture allows for unlimited dimensionality. This allows you to drill down to near real-time data rather than work off outdated summary level transactions. Tidemark's intuitive user interface fosters collaboration between decision makers to ultimately act on the story behind the numbers.
- Uses Apache Hadoop to process large data sets across clusters of computers
- Leverages Spark to power high-level tools for predictive and machine learning capabilities
- Access to as many CPU's and as much memory you want so you can analyze detailed data rather than summaries or subsets
- Get to the low level detail in a data warehouse efficiently
User Experience and Process Framework
- Expose all information with a mobile first user interface that gives finance the control they need to execute on data-driven plans
Not Enough Processing Power
- Can't work with hundreds of millions of records in a data warehouse
Summary Level Transactions
- Data is not a fully comprehensive view of what's happening within the organization
- Can only work with the structure provided
- Changes in the hierarchy can take a very long time
Excel-Based User Interface
- Does not account for real-time data and collaboration is difficult (users can't share or contribute efficiently)
Packaged Processes Specifically for Insurance Planning and Analytics
Insurance Metrics Analytics
- Gain access to timely, "drillable to the source" information and dashboards by company, region and line of business levels to understand the business implications of performance data.
- Leverage a paperless platform that supports electronic authorizations and mobile devices, and provides a solid audit trail no matter what action is taken or on which device.
- Input or adjust information directly into Tidemark on the fly and instantly see the impact it will have on performance.
- Bring more managers into the FP&A process with a self-service environment for purchases, asset assignment, disbursement requests, travel expense reporting, and budget creation.
- Free finance from relying on IT for upgrades or other tasks with a scalable and secure platform capable of growing along with the organization.
- Run what if-models to forecast future policy counts by line of business.
- Leverage modeling insights to better understand where to implement initiatives to increase sales on various lines of product.
- Track current and planned headcount budgets across departments.
- Analyze payroll, benefits and tax to pinpoint variables that affect performance.
- Plan benefits and merit increases.
- Leverage predictive modeling to see where to hire and retain, what skills to improve, and how wage and merit changes impact business performance.